Monday, May 13, 2013

Magnificent Monday- Rourke Educational Media Sound Adventures

Rourke Classroom Sound Adventures
I was SO excited to get my classroom set of Sound Adventures from Rourke Educational Media.  New books are always exciting in my classroom, and I know that my students are going to love these.

There are 36 of these fabulous leveled books.  Teaching in a multi-ability and multi-age classroom I am always looking for ways to meet the needs of all my learners and on all levels.  These books are going to be a great asset to my classroom.
Characters in the story (this is in each book!)

Words to know

Love the glossary that is in each book
How I plan to use them:
-Before we read the book brainstorm words that start with letter that is being focused on in the book.  As we find brainstormed words in the book check them off.
-Many of my students are working identifying characters and setting.  The beginning page that states the characters in the book is a great way to get the conversation going.
-I love the words to know.  Lower level students will be able to match words to know throughout the book (pointing/using wikisticks/post it notes) Higher level students will work on alphabetizing the words to know and then can check their work with the book.
-My 3rd-5th graders are always working with glossary and dictionarys.  This is perfect to extend on the concepts that we are already working on.
-The end of the book is also extension activities.

What great books that I can use in so many different ways to reach so many levels of students (but still use the same book!)  Do you have these Sound Adventure books? If not you can check out http://rourkeclassroom.com  How do you use them?  How do you level your various activities (without creating hundreds of activities)?

I can't wait to check out all of the other ideas for these books through the teacher resources that are going to be available in the upcoming months.

No comments:

Post a Comment