Sunday, May 26, 2019

Almost Summer!

I am winding down the last official week of being a middle school librarian.  What a wonderful year it has been! This is our last week with kiddos, I have one week left of work (and a HUGE to do list), and then a week of Girl Scout Camp Amiga.

Last year I made this awesome Bucket List (many of the items were on my #40by40 list) because I just knew I would have time! But.. instead.. we moved houses and I moved schools... which in reality made it so I had very little of a summer. I of course enjoyed it.. but THIS summer.. this summer I am looking forward to taking a break. This summer I am going to work on my #40by40, but more importantly I am going to take a Digital Deotx! I loved what Lisa wrote on her Digital Detox/Declutter Why and How. and have set this blog up much like hers. (If you don't already follow Lisa Johnson you need too!)


This summer I will be taking a Digital Detox from Sunday June 16th- Sunday July 28th.
Why I want to do it:
-I need a reset of how much time I am spending on Social Media.
-This next year I want to focus on celebrations and create.
-Priority! My word this next year will be priority. My word last year was Perspective and my perspective changed in so many ways.  From the school I worked in, the new friends I found, and our home life.. I tried to always think about my perspective.  This year, my word is Priority- and I am starting my summer making myself a Priority with a Digital Detox!

What I have already done (and am currently doing)
When I decided to do the Digital Detox, I made a to do list of the various items I wanted to get done so I could feel as if I could take a break. I thought about the various digital platforms I use and decided how I want to use my online space.
-I have organized, deleted items, and just cleaned up my Pinterest, Canva, and Piktochart. I have also organized my 2 different Google Drive accounts. I have also cleaned up my Instagram accounts and Facebook accounts.
-I am ALMOST done organizing my house! We did a ton of yard work yesterday and I only have 2 more rooms to go through.
-I am working on emails.  I did do Unrollme.com and already my main Google account is getting cleaner. I plan to be at zero inbox on my 2 main Google accounts
-I have cleaned up my computer desktop along with deleting all of the download items.
-I joined Camp Gladiator!
-I reorganized my office and craft space.  I am ready to create this summer!

What I plan to do
-Delete apps on my phone.  My phone is where I spend most of my time! So, the apps that will be coming off my phone for this summer are: Yahtzee (I know.. I know.. this is one of my guilty pleasures!) Facebook, Youtube, Instagram, Twitter, Gmail, Outlook, Good Reads
-I do plan on keeping Glide, Text Message, Group Me and Marco Polo.  I feel as if those are still real life interactions I have with people. I also plan on keeping Timehop.. I mean I am on a 3 year streak!
-Limit my daily use of computer.  I would like to set time limits on this.. but I will be writing curriculum this summer so will need my computer! I have already cleaned up my bookmarks and history. I will still be checking my social media, but it will not be as often.
-Create and craft! I know what I am doing for Christmas ornaments this year.. and what I am doing for my Ugly sweater. So, I am going to have Christmas in July.  This will give me a chance to actually enjoy the season during Christmas.  I also plan to make lots of birthday, anniversary and various occasion cards. I have addresses and dates.  I am also get prepared for my Girl Scout leader meetings (and this year I want to focus on celebrations!)
-Read! There are SO many books that I want to read this summer, but I am not going to stress if I don't get them all read.
-Work on my #40by40 list.  That birthday is coming up this year.. and I have several things I can knock off my list.
-Update my Memory planner.  I was really good up through October, but then got out of habits.  I hope to build even more habits this summer that prioritize myself and things that make me happy.
-Enjoy my hubby, house, pool.. and RELAX!
-Catch up with friends.

Blogger- I will see you at the end of summer! My #digitaldetox is starting in 21 days!


3 comments:

  1. Goodreads? Why get rid of this one? Super curious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really enjoying reading this post. Thanks for sharing my digital detox. Eager to hear how yours goes. Keep me posted. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have a follow-up reflection on my 30 day detox... lessons learned and plan for moving forward. I look forward to hearing how yours goes too. Such a cool experiment. Here is a link to my reflection: https://techchef4u.com/2019/05/8-lessons-learned-from-a-30-day-social-media-detox/

    ReplyDelete