Saturday, July 18, 2020

And to Live By The Girl Scout Law

Back in 1985 (or there very close to it) I joined Girl Scouts.  I joined as a Daisy- and our troop was the FIRST troop of Daisy's in my area.  Every meeting we began with the Girl Scout Promise and Law.  Both of these things have changed over the years, but the sentiment has not.
Me as a Brownie
Girl Scout Law
Girl Scout Promise
The world is NOT an easy place to live in for anyone right now.  Each household is going through something different, having to make difficult choices or not so difficult choices, and figure out how to live and survive right now. Even those people that seem to have life all figured out right now and together are suffering/stressing too, but in a different way.


Do I handle everything correctly, of course I don't! When I am having a tough time.. or don't know what type of decisions to make.. I go back and think about Girl Scouts. I think about how Girl Scouts  taught me to get through tough situations. I think about what Girl Scouts has taught me to be a better person.  I think about what Girl Scouts has taught me about treating other people. I think that the most important thing that Girl Scouts has taught me is to realize that every person is traveling their own road and their own journey-and I can ALWAYS be Considerate and Caring. 

Let's Break it Down:
Girl Scout Promise
On My Honor- hey, that's me!
I will try- I LOVE the word try here.. and each day is a new day!
To Serve God and my Country- Of course.. and I might not always agree with what is happening in my country, but that doesn't mean that I can't do the best I can to make it how I would like to see it.
To help people at all times- THIS ONE IS HUGE! Helping is also encouraging! We also have to remember that helping looks different in different situations.  It might just be listening, offering a smile, or just being there for someone
And to live by the Girl Scout Law- always doing my best and starting a day fresh and new!

Girl Scout Law
I will do my best- That is all that anyone can ask for! Our best might not look that great some days.. we are HUMAN.. but that doesn't mean that we just give up!
To be honest and fair- We are all human and should be fair and honest to those around us.
Friendly and Helpful- I don't always want to be friendly-but I remind myself that everyone has different shoes they are walking in.
Considerate and Caring- This is one that I work on daily.  Even though I don't agree with everyone, I remind myself to be considerate and caring- because people deserve that.  Many people do not get this in their own life- I know that I can do that for them.
Courageous and Strong- It is not easy to always be courageous and strong- there are lots of times that I fail at this.  But I also see courageous and strong as standing up for what you believe in, but being strong enough to realize that not everyone has the same opinions as you.
Responsible for what I say and do- I am responsible for what I say and do in both social media and inside my house.  I might say wrong things, but that doesn't make me any less responsible for them.
and to
Respect myself and others- I work constantly for respecting others, but sometimes I forget how to respect myself.  This year I am doing that by taking a step back and realizing that it is okay to take time for myself.  It is okay to take time for yourself to make yourself a better person! I have started to receive counseling, and I so thankful for this service.
Respect authority- I might not agree with everything that is happening, but I respect that there are people that have to make really tough decisions.  If I don't like the decisions they are making, I can use my right to vote. 
Use resources wisely- This one right now packs a punch! Resources wisely can go from what we are using in our own household to what we might need in school.
Make the World a Better Place, and- The world is NOT an easy place- but by only seeing the bad and no silver linings- we are not doing a very good job at making the world a better place. 
to be a Sister to Every Girl Scout- Give everyone grace.  Everyone deserves that.

I know that I am not a parent.  I know that I can only make a difference in the immediate circle of people that I am able to connect with right now.  But I have a troop that I love DEARLY that I can hopefully instill some of these same values. 

Parents, I know that you are having to handle a whole lot right now.  Even if you are not a Girl Scout... I hope that you take a moment to see how you are handling life in general and what types of values that you are instilling in your own children.  If you don't have children.. what kind of values are you instilling in others? So much of social media right now is reminding people how wrong they are, how to do things better, how life can be better.  COVID-19 has proved that no one is right.. and that nothing is how we want it right now. 

I am a middle school librarian and I worry about my own safety along with that of my family.  I have been following all of the rules as best I can. Our family has also gone down to one income for the most part- so I understand that stress as well.  Life is not easy right now for anyone! I have been following the Girl Scout Promise and Law to remind those around me that they are valued.  I am also VERY involved in my community.  I too am grieving that things are not how I want them to be (I mean.. during school.. I run a Girl Scout troop, Destination ImagiNation teams, clubs and various other activities) I have shed tears over the things that I have lost.. and the things that I will not be able to do.  I hate that educators and school systems are being bashed in almost every way.  I feel for the administrators and Superintendents having to make decisions for SO many people. I hate that there are so many families having to choose a job or a family to make this work.  Remember- people are watching what we do and how we handle ourselves.  Those people also include the younger generation, your children, our students. 

I know that I don't always handle things correctly.. but as the Promise and Law state- I will do my BEST and I will TRY.  Through all the darkness in the world right now, I hope to continue to instill the Promise and Law and the importance of showing Grace to ourselves and Grace to those around us.

Only part of my troop.

What work are you doing today to make our history better?  How are you handling stress?  What are you doing to change the world.

I will continue to do my Best and to Live by the Girl Scout Law.

No comments:

Post a Comment