Sunday, July 12, 2020

Grow

Being a teacher- my years run June-June.  I know that is crazy, but that is just how my brain works. I say this, because many people in January choose goals, resolutions, or a word of the year.  My word of the year goes with my school calendar.  It is also so interesting how my word of the year just starts showing itself in my every activity that I do.  You can find my other blogs about my various words here.

My word this year is Grow.  There is so much going on right now.. that I realized for me to be in a better mindset I was going to need to grow mentally and physically.  As I said before, my word just starts popping up in different places. 

In the picture below (that is now my phone background) the flowerpot head is me! It was colored by one of my Girl Scout troop members.  Her mom sent me a text message one night "Miss Andrea, if you were a flower pot, what colors would all of your pretty flowers be?" I answered purple and yellow (because purple is my favorite color!) but I got back this beauty and message.  "I asked your favorite colors for the flowers in your pot, but I thought you're not just purple and yellow.. you are the whole rainbow!"

Current lock screen on my phone
I had not told anyone of my word.. it just sort of shows up. 
On July 4th we went to an absolutely BEAUTIFUL sunflower field about an hour away from our house and I grabbed a few shots.  This one is now my background for my computer.

As I said.. this year.. I want to grow. Growing is not easy.. and is not all fluff. 

What I am doing right now to start this growth:

Physically
-I went to my well woman visit at the end of June- everything is fine.. but she did point out that my triglycerides are a little high as with my cholesterol. So, I joined Weight Watchers again, posted my goals on my @healthyakbusybee account and sharing my journey there, and I am moving more! I am also doing Camp Gladiator (virtually and also in person... when I am in person- I make sure to keep LOTS of distance between others) I will also be blogging over at Healthy Akbusybee

Mentally
-I think we can all say that we have some major anxiety going on because all that is happening in the world right now.  After working with middle schoolers and living with an amazing husband who is also bi-polar, I have realized how important mental health is. I am always going, going, going..and I enjoy everything that I do.. but I am not very good at taking time for myself. I learned of the Family Advocacy Center in Irving.  Because I am an Irving resident.. I qualify for free counseling.  I have now been seeing a counselor for almost a month (it would have started earlier.. but thanks Covid)

These are only a few ways I hope to GROW this year. I know we are facing some major hardships.. but I hope to grow within myself to take on anything that is thrown my way.  Do you have a word a year?

No comments:

Post a Comment