Monday, December 17, 2012

Magnificent Monday! Crafting for the Holidays!

Tis the Season to be crafting.... this season has been a little tighter on the checkbook.  I know that most of the world is struggling financially.. and I am NO different (husband had West Nile virus this summer, so he was out of work with no pay for a month!)  Anyway, every year I enjoy participating in Secret Santa.  I also make over 100 ornaments to put in the boxes of all of our staff members.

I was super lucky to grow up with some great parents that encouraged us to give gifts from the heart.  The things I make might not be the best or the prettiest, but they come from my heart.  My first year teaching I didn't really fit in (but then again.. I am kind of an oddball.. and I don't fit in everywhere.. but that doesn't stop me!), but I knew that I wanted to do something for the whole staff . I knew that everyone enjoys getting something in their box.  That started my ornaments 11 years ago.  Each year I try to make them a little different so people don't have repeats.  This year I am a little more behind on my ornaments (thanks to being sick this weekend!)

Thanks to Pinterest and raiding my craft closet I came up with some great gifts!  See captions below each picture.  Want more information on one, let me know!

I saw these cute ideas on Pinterest.  I have seen them made with a larger frame.  For this one I found a little 5x7 frame from my craft closet.  Take out the glass.  The ornaments I found at the dollar store (even the jingle bell) Tied them on top with some pretty ribbon.  My friend Misty did a huge one that looked great!
http://theinspiredroom.net/diy/christmas-ornament-frame/

This is the start of our Christmas tree at school.  We are learning about holidays around the world. Each place we learn about we travel by google earth to check it out and then add an ornament to our tree about the place.  I will add more pictures about it to a later blog

This was one of my FAVORITE projects! It took maybe 30 minutes and cost less than $3!  I found a Santa hat at Wal-Mart and bought 3 yards of tulle.  I bought the tulle at Wal-Mart for  $.97 a yard, but I sure it would work just as fine if you bought the spool.  Use a wire hanger and start tying it on. I love how it turned out (see picture below)


Every year I have my class help me make a holiday shirt.  We have always done a Christmas tree, but this year we did a Santa! I love how it turned out!

This was my final project for my Secret Santa.  I was pretty pleased how it turned out!

I nabbed these light bulbs last year and I wasn't for sure what I was going to do with them.  We had an ornament exchange at work.  I hot glued 4 together at a time.  Then glued the 2 done pieces together.  I found these cute snowflakes to cover the hot glue.

These are my ornaments for this year. Very vintage (a little different than my usual ornament)  Found pretty scrapbook paper and used brown paper packages.  Cut out stars that I had drawn and sewed them together.
Of course I couldn't blog all of my holiday blog without including a picture of Mr. and Mrs. Claus!

What are your yearly traditions?  I also always bake (yes.. I wrote bake!) cookies or some other treat for our cafeteria staff, janitors, office staff, and bus drivers.  I have a feeling tomorrow night will be a long night, but one that makes me super happy to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment