Monday, March 25, 2013

#DENapalooza2013- Start of the Tour in McKinney Texas

As you know,  I am one of those crazy people that loves to fill my brain with learning all of the time (I am sure that you didn't realize that!) So, what better way to spend a Saturday than attending the first DENapalooza Event!



You know that I can't ever pass up time hanging out with my Awesome DEN Guru friend Elaine!

First Stop- McKinney, Texas

I LOVED the welcome sign!
There were so many great sessions that were offered.  Two sessions in the morning, awesome lunch and then 2 unconference sessions in the afternoon.  I knew that I would not be able to attend them all so I had my twitter feed ready to catch any great quotes or sources at #DENapalooza (go check it out!)



Started my day with Joli Barker
Joli does some amazing things with her students.  She was also named TCEA Teacher of the Year this year. You can find her presentation on the wiki.  My favorite quote from her.  "I don't want just fact finders, I want thinkers!"  

Second session! Of course I had to go listen to Elaine Plybon
Elaine showed some great ways to use Discovery Education media in various ways (and if you don't have much tech available!)  I can't wait to use some of the ideas.  Favorite one: Cut a Discovery Education media picture in half and have students describe the picture and try to figure out what is going on.  A great way to start conversations and work on inferring.  

Love hanging out with rockstars!  Rafranz Davis, Elaine Plybon,  Kristy Vincent and myself
Of course I had to get a picture with Dean Shareski
It was a GREAT day of learning (and seeing friends!)  I really enjoyed taking part in the Twitter unconference conversation.  I also got to meet some people that I stalk... I mean follow on twitter!  I can't wait to follow along with the rest of the conversation as the tour continues.  Do you plan to attend a DENapalooza?  How do you continue your own learning?







1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed the day, met new people, and learned a lot.

    ReplyDelete