Saturday, March 14, 2020

Spring Break 2020

I am on day 2 of not leaving my house (I did leave yesterday morning at 6am for groceries and noon for gas.. but will get into that later) I have a migraine that has been brewing, but I think it is because my brain is on overload.  When I get anxious.. I list (and usually clean, but I have a feeling I am about to have a TON of time for that).  I list and overthink things and list some more.  I also scroll endlessly on social media. Instead of listing this time, I am deciding to write.

I have had this blog for almost 9 years.  Some years I post often.. some years not so much.  Some of my blogs are viewed over 15000 times some barely 100.  I have 186 different posts that share my random adventures, thoughts, and activities.  I write my blogs for me to remember what I have done, where I have been, and all the awesome people I have met along the way. 

The week before spring break was filled with a Book Fair and amazing author visit, I went to a FREE community hip hop dance class.. and there was a time change, short week.. and the overhang of the COVID-19.  Oh.. I also became addicted to TikTok. Guys- yes, I might have downloaded it to see what all of these dances are about.. but there are some really smart people on there! I have already made 3 videos (If you are really interested you can find me @akbusybee)


On Thursday we left school with sort of the unknown of when we would be back (I did check out about 10 books).. or what school would look like after spring break.  I now am upset with myself at not getting more books in kids hands. 

Guys- this week.. I stressed. I stressed because I had the AMAZING Sharon Draper come to talk to all of our 7th graders. I stressed because I ran a book fair for 3 and a half days.  I stressed because I all I could think about how COVID-19 is going to affect and effect our economy.  I am not trying to be a dooms day person, I just see the bigger picture.  I am lucky that I am on salary.. but just because I am on salary does not mean that I don't live paycheck to paycheck (if you don't know.. most teachers/librarians only get paid once a month)-and since November- we have been a one income family.. that gets a little more behind each month.  I also work with some awesome people on campus that are not salary.. and when school is not open.. they don't get paid.  Not only that.. when school is not open many of our students don't eat- or have a safe space. I also stressed because reality is- my husband is in the service industry. Is is an extremely talented Executive Chef.  But the service industry changes so much.. and he has been unemployed since November (He did just get a job last week.. but we are unsure of when he is going to start). I don't write any of this for pity- I write this because it is my story- and more than likely there are other people out there with the same story.  

Friday morning- I set my alarm for super early- and I was at the grocery store when it opened at 6am.  It wasn't very busy- of course there was no toilet paper or water bottles. I didn't need toilet paper.. and it looks like I will be drinking tap water soon (which I am totally okay with.. just add extra ice!)  I did take pictures of the empty shelves- not to post.. because I think that is adding to the paranoia.. but as a reminder to myself next year of the craziness that we have survived.  I found some great deals and didn't overbuy. I also made sure to THANK every person that was working- because I know how hard they are working! This is not an easy time.. and when people get anxious people get cranky. Now, granted- I can't really overbuy.. because I am on a budget.. we still have about 13 days until payday.   I think of those families that see others stocking up on items and realize that they can't afford to do that.  I then spent WAY too much time on Facebook with overload of information from both sides.. and that is stressing me out too! I might have cried last night at the stress- and it is only day 1 of Spring Break!! Hubby reminded me I should put the phone down.. so I did and finished my first book of Spring Break.


Today is Saturday- I have watched Season 1 of Schitt's Creek, I am unsure why Netflix asked if I was still watching- what else am I going to be doing??
I am also working on my second book of Spring Break.. and trying to just take one day at a time.  I might be pretty excited about Frozen 2 coming out tomorrow.  We will be practicing social distancing and also hoping that although this is affecting our whole economy that my husband can return to work next week.  This is a VERY real deal.. and guys.. I had a little panic attack last night too.. because about four weeks ago.. I had a terrible cough and low grade fever.. and it wasn't the flu or strep throat.. just some virus.  

Already as I have written this blog my stress has lessened and my migraine is going away because I have gotten thoughts on a page and out of my brain. Breaks are fun and games and everything, but I know that this is not a normal break and I am going to need to stay focused and have my own "schedule"

Here is what I plan to do:
1- Document/write- not necessarily on social media.. but get it on paper.  One of my #50by50 is to write a book.. and right now I sort of feel like I am in a dystopian novel!
2- Keep a schedule
3- Do some major deep cleaning
4- Read
5- Exercise and Eat- I am a CG member.. I don't think I will actually go.. but I will be doing the stay at home items they recommended
6- Try not to stress- and remind myself that we are all in the same boat.. and it is not just my household that is having a tough time making it financially! (this one is going to be hard!)
7- Limit my time on social media

I have also pulled out some board games and plan to create some Girl Scout activities to send out to my troop to offer something more to parents to work on.  I do believe this is a spring break that no one will forget.  When/If I do go out.. I also plan to be SUPER nice to all those that are working.. and wash my hands often!  To all those that are in a limbo as to what your financial situation might be.. I see you and I feel you.  I also am thinking about all the administrators and superintendents that are having to make choices for safety of lots of kiddos.. but with that safety also comes other hardship.  Just be kind to one another and remember that it is happening everywhere. 


1 comment:

  1. You are so wise and your words truly mirror the way most of us are feeling. I am so grateful that we live in an age where we can talk to our loved ones with just a click. You are not alone. Remember how very very deeply many people love you!! I am lucky enough to count myself among them. Hug William for me and tell him to hug you!! Love you turtle!!

    ReplyDelete