Sunday, March 15, 2020

Sunday March 15th, 2020

Day 3 of Spring Break... and I have done NOTHING except for
-nap
-watch Schitt's Creek and Law and Order (I REALLY want to watch Frozen 2)
-read
-reminding myself to eat (you would think I would not have a problem with that
-I have done a GREAT job of staying off social media

I might be a super busy person, but I am a structured scheduled busy person.  I knew that Spring Break would not be structured and I would need to keep myself busy.. but the email came yesterday that we would be on virtual learning starting March 24th (that is the first day back from spring break) and will continue to April 3rd. 

I love that I work on a VILS campus.  VILS is Verizon Innovative Learning Campus.  All of our students have iPads with data.  Our teachers use the devices to increase learning and implement instruction.  The important thing to remember with any devices is that it is not just about using technology, but still using good teaching with technology.  Our district is implementing at home learning plans to prepare for the closures.  Teaching is a hard profession, and I know that there are so many teachers that want their students to succeed.  I know how important it is for schools to be closed right now.  Although I have been staying off social media, I have seen enough news articles and information from doctors in the US and friends with family members in Italy to know how much this can devastate communities.  Changing to all virtual schools is not an easy task... and our administrators and superintendents are making tough decisions to ensure safety for our students and staff.  Think about your teachers that are doing everything possible to ensure that there will still be learning going on at home.. along with some structure

Here are my couple of reminders today:
-Your school library has SO many digital resources (I know ours does!)
-Your local library has SO many great resources too!
-Reading books online (through Youtube or other ways) violates copyright.. I know.. I know.. but Andrea I can't see my kids.  There are a TON of resources out there that have the author reading their books. 
-We are all in this together! Think about your neighbor.. but also give yourself some grace

I want to be proactive as a librarian... because here is that nagging thought in the back of my head.  We are all going into very unknown waters in what learning is about to look like for a mass amount of students.  When we finally travel through these unknown waters- what is it going to look like on the other side? We are currently only adding 2 weeks, but who knows.. it could end up being more.  This will most likely effect our STAAR testing.  Schools get money with students being at school and from testing.  What will life look like beyond this?

Since we are still on spring break- I am not going to be pushing out too much stuff.  If I am overwhelmed, I can only imagine how my students are right now. I am coming up with ideas though and will begin to create things to push out.  Don't worry.. all that I make I will be sharing!

Ideas:
-Some at home ideas for my Girl Scout troop
-Tik Toks library style
-Videos and challenges that have students make things
-A reading challenge
-Mindfulness activities- we are all stressed!

Think About and some virtual love and good thoughts:
-Our healthcare workers
-The people that are working in the grocery stores
-Custodians
-Parents that are now trying to figure out a new norm (from money to food)
-Parents that have wonderful children with special needs
-Families that are living with someone that has mental illness of any type (I know that I have anxiety that has not fully been diagnosed.. but I also live with an amazing husband who is bi-polar.. so I am personally trying to be as positive as possible)
-People that are living with mental illness themselves.  We all joke about living as an introvert.. but for those that suffer with depression and anxiety- this can heighten all of this
-Those that are struggling financially and are already uncertain about how to put food/supplies in their house
-EVERYONE- everyone is trying to figure out these new norms.  Some have already started to take the advice of social distancing and are staying at home.. others are not. We all need to have grace with each other and realize that this is a VERY real deal.


Disclaimer:
I write these blogs for me.  To remind me of my thoughts, to lower my own stress, and to get on "paper" what many of us are probably thinking (right.. I can't be the only one out there with these thoughts!)



No comments:

Post a Comment