Friday, June 22, 2012

The Diviners

Have I mentioned that I have the coolest friends?  Let me say it again... I have the COOLEST friends!  This evening I was invited to a play The Diviners by Jim Leaonard Jr. that was being put on at Arts Fifth Avenue in Fort Worth, Texas.  You know me, I can never say no to adventures and great friends.

I arrived early with the Plybons.  David was playing Ferris, the father, and Elaine was working the sound board.  The venue is small and quaint, but one where you feel the passion of the theater running through the veins of all that enter.  Although I arrived early I was able to drink in all of the hustle and bustle of excited actors and actresses.




The scenes were set in sepia tones, and the director did an amazing job of keeping the tone.  It was continuous from the set background to the clothing the character wore.  I won't give the story away... because you need to go see it!  But, I want to share why it affected me so.  Brian Dougher took some unbelievable photos.  

The main character was a boy with intellectual disability.. and the young actor did an AMAZING job of portraying him.   This play and the actors did a great job of showing how loving and caring a community can be.  It also showed, however, how hard it must be at times to be a parent of a child with any type of varying ability.  I was pulled into the characters lives in the first 5 minutes.  When Elaine told me to bring Kleenexes, I knew it was going to be for the end... but I found myself using them during the first act.  The heart, soul, and emotions that came through this play were unbelievable.  

Find out more information and how to buy tickets at Jason Leyva's website.  They are of course on Facebook  and twitter  I can not wait to see another one their productions (might even go see this one again!)

No comments:

Post a Comment