Saturday, June 13, 2015

Champion

Today I had the privilege of seeing my best friend get married. It was BEAUTIFUL!  So super happy for them both.  I have lots of pictures to share...but I think that will have to wait until I get home and there is a bit faster internet.

I was driving to my parents house when Roar by Katy Perry came on. I love how she talks about being a Champion and you are going to hear me roar. This is when I decided I knew what my new word for next year is going to be! Champion!

This year my word was strength. I had strength in so many ways and now it is time to use that strength to be a Champion.

Champion (as defined by the dictionary) noun- a person who fights for or defends any person or cause

Now you might ask...why champion? I chose champion because I know that we are in a time of need where there needs to be champions. But, when I think of Champion I am reminded of the Rita Pierson: Every Kid Needs A Champion TEDtalk.

I will remind myself to be a Champion:
-for the students that need extra opportunities that they might not get at any other place
-for the teacher that needs that reminder that they are valued and worthwhile. That I understand that they have a tough job..but I notice the difference they make
-for the administrator that might not get that encouragement in other places to let them know they are on the right track no matter what a score is.
-for my friends and my family  that put up with me. They too need to know the importance and impact they have on my life.
-for the stranger that crosses my path. Every person has a value and a strength.
-for myself. I have strength,  compassion, influence and heart.

This year.. I will be a Champion for others and myself.  We have so many systems that are broken in so many ways. I will strive to be the person that stands up and and reminds those around me the importance of the contrabutions they make.

"A small group of thoughtful people could change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." Margaret Mead

Do you have a word of the year?

No comments:

Post a Comment